Friday, May 22, 2009

An interesting PR Case Study

An entry level interview at SIMC. The guy cleared it and is now with SIMC.

Interviewer (I): Take your seat.

Student (S): should I? (Hesitation writ large on his face)

I: (Looks as confused as the guy is) Yes, you may.

The Student lifts the seat to the astonishment of the gentlemen in front. He holds it above his head as if the room is flooded.

I: What is happening?

S: Sir, you told to take my seat and I did.

(Interviewers gulp & take a sip of glucose)

I: Ok. Now SIT.

I: What are your strengths?

S: As you saw now, lifting heavy items with ease is only because of my strength.

I: Strengths otherwise?

S: I can sleep when awake.

I's: Stop stop. Why are you here now?

S: You called me for the interview and then…

(Interviewer is lost)

I: OK, We have a case study now. As per curriculum, an SIMC student needs to complete 7 approved projects by the end of the 4th semester. What will you do if in case you are left with nothing even by the end of the second semester?

S: (Gives a sneer): Since am used to doing nothing, I’ll think till a dumb idea strikes. For example, an idea to collect stories, collate, edit and publish a book. I’ll prepare a proposal so impressive that even the most acknowledged would think twice to reject. Once it’s all approved, SIMC council will be asked to collect fragments from all over India. Also they will be given the task to design the crap...err...scrap. By hook or by crook is OK. Some advertising student will collate and journalism students will edit the text to make it error proof. In this way everyone gets a feel of the work and it gets complete.

I: Great idea. What if they don't have time ?

S: I am a staunch believer in soothsayer Rejil's who said "Don't waste time pass", " All play and no work makes Jill a fat boy"....then " So much of free time that people don't get work" and etc. Else, will tell the council to gift a watch to all from the caution deposit.

I: Good. You go by our ethics. But what will be your individual contribution in the project procedure you described?

S: I will take all the credits without any selfish interests and give it to the Symbiosis Library.

I: Amazing efficiency at work. You have already overtaken any manager in terms of quality. Do you still want this seat?

S: Err… this chair is not too good….a better one would suffice

I: Sorry. We did not mean the chair you lifted now, but an entry as an MBA student in SIMC.

A death like silence prevails for a while before the interview resumes.

I: What are the misconceptions your employee had about you?

S: He always thought that I actually work 8 hours a day, while I was always on the internet.

I: Long term goals?

S: To somehow complete the seven projects.

I: Anything specific value system you were influenced by & which you have imbibed over the years?

S: Once I head Abdul Kalam professing about dreams, the immense power & potential it has. From that day I do nothing but sleep as much to improve my ability to dream in various moods.

(A deep sigh passes across in the interview board)

Sorry, please don’t read more as it’s a waste of time. The guy is in the college.

Anyways, PR students specifically need to rush. Hurry up. Collect your case studies and mail it to the representative. Let the Journo’s edit it next to facilitate the institution add one more to the library.

3 comments:

Quarter Dadu said...

Thanks Regil for all the publicity. Lot of students do not go through the simc mail, but read and comment on your blog. People who have missed out on the mail can be informed through your blog.

We complain that we only copy and paste information from the internet and submit our assignments. This is a waste of time and we call it an assignment! I think a case study like this will not be a copy paste job and will aid in learning for one and all.
The positive side is that even before the beginning of the 3rd semester, the PR students have already completed 40 marks worth assignment. This will bring a smile on their faces, even though they will do the work grinding their teeth. It is the case with every new assignment. Don't you think?
As far as the editing and designing is concerned, no journo or ad student is doing it. It will be done by the representative himself.

Rejil Krishnan said...

@ Again it is a joke.. The rest of those assignments, at least for copy pasting fm various sites, we read once.. ths case study wud be direct mail as it is already prepared.. not evn a read is reqd.. u r wrong here dadu, absolutely ! & yes, 40 marks is positive... but evn for others, third sem is not too tough/engaging to sit and grind assignments now...
btw, the editing and etc is as usual exaggeration...

Naman Saraiya said...

Genius!
Though, I don't understand alot of your work, in terms of college assignments and reports etc.
This makes one realize things.
As the discussion proceeds.
:)